Sunday, November 2, 2014

Digital Photo Professional cannot edit CR2 RAW files

Today I spent almost one hour trying to figure out why Canon DPP was not able to edit some pictures I took a while ago. All the pictures in one folder were shown like this:

DPP_NoEdit

Notice the glyph on top of each image indicating editing was not allowed.

I searched 3 times the menus for some option to unblock editing, but there was none. I thought of files being read-only on disk, having wrong ACLs. Nothing. Some website suggested for images being edit-protected from the camera to access an unblock option from the Info window, but that was completely empty instead of displaying EXIF info.

EmptyInfo

It was only happening with images in one folder, so I moved an image out of that folder, but nothing changed.

Hours later I viewed the images in Explorer from a different computer, and then I noticed something odd – why was the CR2 size so small as compared with other pictures? Were they corrupted?

Files

And then it hit me – when I took those pictures the camera battery run out on my 5D III and I had to use my old camera, a Canon 20D. And DPP was not able to open the files from this older camera…

After a little digging on the net, I had the confirmation: Canon has released Digital Photo Professional 4.0, but only for 64-bit computers and only for certain cameras like Canon 5D Mark III. Older camera like Canon 20D are not supported by DPP 4, and instead I had to download the previous version, DPP 3.14 to edit the raw files. It turns out that even new cameras from Canon like 7D mark II are not supported by DPP 4.0, on either 32 or 64-bit Windows. Hopefully Canon will reconsider and add compatibility support for all the cameras when they release a new version of DPP 4…

9 comments:

Giselle said...

This clears things. Thank you. Same thing happened to me today. I used my 650D and I couldn't edit them...and the photos appeared very small and pixelized when viewed through DPP4

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help - this has been driving me nuts. Why can create new software that wont work on a 7D is beyond me...

Ellen Thomas said...

Thank you! Thanks a lot! I was sooo worried and dint know what to do...Thanks for taking time to help people like me!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!! Been searching the web for at least an hour myself... This was very helpfull, as i encountered the exact same problem.

Anonymous said...

Well done for spotting this. Same issue with my 6D and 40D, only get tiny thumbnails for the raw images from the 40D.

Adarsha said...

Thank you.. I too had same problem with pics taken from T1i, Dpp4 combination. I spent few hours resetting my samba share, POSIX ACL etc before trying out the image in DPP 3 (where it worked normally). Then finally searched to figure out what the heck is wrong with DPP 4, and came to your blog. Thanks!!

Serpent said...

This is insane. When I downloaded DPP4 from the Canon website they asked for the camera model (600D) and I even had to enter the camera's serial number. Then they let me download a version that isn't even compatible! Nice one Canon...

Navroz said...

So it's June 2016 now and I downloaded DPP 4 and unknowingly joined the gang of people facing the issue of not being able to edit RAW files of 400D.

So looks like if it ain't fixed yet (after a year +) it ain't gonna be fixed by Canon!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your bogpost. I just tried to open a CR2 file from my new 5D4 camera in DPP4, but it didn't work. After updating the software it works like a charm now.